(HealthDay News) -- Before ole' man winter shows up in your neighborhood, be prepared with a storm survival kit.
The American Red Cross advises:
- Create a supply kit of food, water, medications, flashlights, batteries, a radio and other emergency supplies.
- Make sure your vehicle is ready for winter, and keep your gas tank near full.
- For better insulation, cover your home's windows with plastic, or install storm windows.
- Have your furnace, chimneys and other heat sources cleaned and inspected each year.
- If you're traveling, make sure the thermostat in your home isn't set below 55 degrees Fahrenheit.
Copyright © 2015 HealthDay
. All rights reserved.