(HealthDay News) -- A fire can be a cozy way to keep warm during winter, but it can be dangerous if you don't take precautions.
The University of Michigan Health System recommends:
- Placing smoke detectors outside every bedroom and on each level of your home.
- Using a fireplace screen that can keep sparks from flying out. Be sure to remove boughs, paper and holiday decorations from the area before you light a fire.
- Using the fireplace only when you are home and awake.
- Taking care when burning fire salts to add color to your fire. They can be dangerous if a young child ingests them.
- Avoid burning greenery or wrapping paper in the fireplace.
Copyright © 2015 HealthDay
. All rights reserved.