(HealthDay News) -- People who are allergic to eggs don't have to miss out on the tasty versatility that eggs offer.
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics suggests these alternatives:
- In place of scrambled eggs, use cubed firm tofu. In the pan, gently smash it with a fork to make it crumble like a scrambled egg. Sprinkle with a little turmeric for yellow coloring.
- Use diced extra-firm tofu in place of hard-boiled eggs in salads and sandwiches. Or opt for white beans or baked, ready-to-eat tofu.
- Use chia seeds or flax seeds mixed with water (1 tablespoon seeds to 3 tablespoons water) in place of eggs in baking to help bind batter. You'll need to let the mixture rest for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Substitute applesauce, avocado, mashed banana, silken tofu or garbanzo beans for eggs to make baked goods creamier, more moist and richer.
- For a simple protein-rich snack, opt for Greek yogurt. One-quarter cup (plain, fat-free) has the same protein as an egg.
Copyright © 2015 HealthDay
. All rights reserved.