(HealthDay News) -- Fried chicken, macaroni and cheese and other goodies are popular southern foods, but they often pack plenty of fat and salt.
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics recommends these healthier swaps:
- Eat veggies first to help you fill up.
- If you want a calorie-rich dish such as macaroni and cheese, serve a small portion.
- Save your favorite dishes for special occasions.
- Opt for peanut, olive or canola oil, instead of solid fats.
- Make macaroni and cheese with low-fat milk and reduced-fat cheddar.
- Serve up a black-eyed-peas and rice dish with brown rice instead of white.
- Make potato salad using half mayonnaise and half fat-free Greek yogurt, a little mustard and extra veggies.
Copyright © 2015 HealthDay
. All rights reserved.