(HealthDay News) -- Read to lace up your ice skates and enjoy some winter exercise? Make sure you're prepared.
The National Safety Council offers these suggestions:
- Make sure skates support your ankles well and fit comfortably.
- Take skates to have blades professionally sharpened before skating season starts.
- Only skate in areas that are prepared and safe for skating.
- Make sure you know the basics, such as how to stop safely.
- Take breaks when you feel cold or tired.
- Dress warmly.
- Never skate alone.
Copyright © 2014 HealthDay
. All rights reserved.