(HealthDay News) -- Toxoplasmosis is a parasitic disease that may be transmitted via cat feces. Pregnant women should avoid coming into contact with the parasite to protect the developing fetus.
The Humane Society of the United States offers these suggestions:
- Ask a partner, friend or family member to clean the litter box while you are pregnant. If you must clean the box yourself, wear gloves and then thoroughly wash hands.
- Make sure the litter box is cleaned daily, and keep your cat indoors.
- The parasite can be transmitted in other ways. Make sure all uncooked produce is thoroughly washed, and never eat undercooked meat.
- Carefully wash any cutting boards and utensils that may have been in contact with raw meat.
- When gardening, wear gloves and thoroughly wash hands when you're finished.
Copyright © 2014 HealthDay
. All rights reserved.