- 366 million people suffer from diabetes; 4.6 million deaths in 2011 were diabetes-related
- By 2030, 552 million will have diabetes
- Obesity increases risk for diabetes: 500 million are obese, 1.4 billion are overweight
- 44% of the world's diabetes cases are related to obesity and overweight
In the United States…
2012 Research Pipeline
- 26 million American adults and children live with diabetes
- 7th leading cause of death in the U.S.
- Among people 65 and older, 27% (nearly 11 million) are diabetic
- An estimated 7 million Americans with diabetes are undiagnosed
- More than 35% of American adults (78 million) are obese; prevalence has doubled since 1990.
- More than 17% of children and teens (12.5 million) are obese; prevalence has tripled since 1980.
- By 2050, 1 in 3 adults will be diabetic
: 511 anti-diabetes agents are now in clinical research
Get the Facts on Diabetes
Obesity and Overweight
American Diabetes Association Diabetes Statistics
International Diabetes Foundation
Citeline, Pharma R&D Annual Review, 2012