- 350 million people suffer from depression.
- Less than half of depressed people receive treatment, although effective treatments exist.
- Depression is the #1 cause of disability in the world.
- An estimated 1 million suicides are due to depression each year.
In the United States...
2012 Research Pipeline
- More than 19 million Americans suffer from clinical depression each year.
- One in 10 Americans report some form of depression.
- 12 million women experience clinical depression annually; 1 in 8 will suffer depression in their lifetime.
- 20% of teenagers experience depression; 30% of them develop substance abuse problems.
: 132 antidepressant agents are in clinical trials.
WHO Depression Fact Sheet 369, October 2012
Mental Health and Substance Abuse **
Mental Health America, 2012, Depression: What You Need to Know