(HealthDay News) -- Iron is a mineral essential for healthy red blood cells. If you don't get enough from a balanced diet, your health can suffer.
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics advises eating these iron-rich foods:
- Animal-based proteins, including lean beef and pork. Chicken, turkey and fish also are good choices.
- Leafy, dark green vegetables, such as spinach.
- Soybeans, lentils, kidney, pinto and other types of beans.
- Cereals fortified with iron.
- Rice, breads and other whole grains enriched with iron.
Copyright © 2016 HealthDay
. All rights reserved.