(HealthDay News) -- If you're planning to serve leafy greens with dinner, make sure you're preparing them properly.
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics advises:
- Wash your hands for 20 seconds with soap and warm water before handling greens.
- Toss any greens that seem spoiled, and cut away damaged or wilted leaves.
- Rinse greens with water just before serving. If labeled "pre-washed," no need to rinse again.
- If washing lettuce with a core, such as iceberg, cut the core out first. For loose leaves, immerse in a bowl or salad spinner with clean, cold water and rinse for 30 seconds. Drain and repeat at least twice. Never add bleach, detergent or soap.
- Pat greens dry with a paper towel, or use a salad spinner.
Copyright © 2015 HealthDay
. All rights reserved.