Health Tip: Reducing Your Child's Risk of Lead Poisoning

Health Tip: Reducing Your Child's Risk of Lead Poisoning

Health Tip: Reducing Your Child's Risk of Lead Poisoning

Be especially careful if you live in an older home

(HealthDay News) -- Lead often is found in the paint in older homes. When ingested by young children, lead can cause serious developmental and health problems.

The American Academy of Family Physicians advises:

  • If your home was built before 1978, keep your child away from any areas of peeling paint. Repaint surfaces to make sure any lead paint is sealed in.
  • Talk to your child's pediatrician about lead testing.
  • If you're remodeling an older home, seal off work areas to prevent paint dust from spreading.
  • Make sure your child always washes his or her face and hands before eating.
www.healthday.com
Copyright © 2015 HealthDay. All rights reserved.