(HealthDay News) -- If your home has been flooded, cleaning up mold may be one of your first challenges.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends:
- Create a solution of soap, water and 1 cup of bleach per 5 gallons of water. Protect yourself with rubber boots and waterproof gloves.
- Use this disinfecting solution on walls, floors and other hard surfaces.
- Take particular care to disinfect areas where food is stored or prepared, such as counters, the refrigerator and pantry. Also, be sure to thoroughly clean any area frequented by a child.
- Clothing and linens should be washed and dried on the hot cycle.
- Mattresses, couches, and upholstered furniture should be dried in the sun and thoroughly disinfected. Carpets should be steam cleaned. Throw away anything that cannot be properly cleaned.
Copyright © 2015 HealthDay
. All rights reserved.