(HealthDay News) -- If you want healthy, shiny hair, you may need to change a few of your habits.
The American Academy of Dermatology recommends:
- Shampooing only your scalp, rather than the length of your hair, and using conditioner after each shampoo.
- Avoiding rubbing hair with a towel or using a hair dryer. If possible, allow it to air dry.
- Don't brush your hair when it is wet.
- When using a straightening iron or blow dryer, use the lowest heat setting possible and limit how frequently you use it.
- If you color, perm or relax your hair, stretch the time between visits and only do one service at a time.
- If you have hair extensions, keep them light to avoid pulling on the scalp. Try not to use them all the time.
- Comb your hair gently and avoid over-brushing.
Copyright © 2015 HealthDay
. All rights reserved.