(HealthDay News) -- Too much screen time can keep kids from much-needed exercise.
For parents who want to get their kids off the couch and into better fitness, the Mayo Clinic offers these suggestions:
- Keep all TVs and computers in shared areas such as the living room, never in a child's bedroom.
- Avoid serving meals and snacks in front of the TV.
- Set restrictions on how much TV your child is allowed to watch during the week.
- Never use TV time as a punishment or reward.
- Don't watch too much TV yourself, so you set a good example. Make sure your child's caregivers are on board with limiting screen time, too.
- Set a few days each week as screen-free for the entire family.
- Offer alternatives to TV or video games, such as getting involved in a sport or helping out in the kitchen.
Copyright © 2015 HealthDay
. All rights reserved.