(HealthDay News) -- Minor wounds and surgical scars should heal themselves, but there are things you can do to minimize scarring.
The American Academy of Dermatology recommends:
- Use gentle soap and water to clean the area.
- Apply a bit of petroleum jelly to keep the skin moist.
- Use an adhesive bandage to cover a wound after it has been washed and protected with petroleum jelly. Change the bandage daily.
- Follow your doctor's recommendations for wounds that needed stitches.
- Once the skin has healed, protect it with sunscreen.
Copyright © 2015 HealthDay
. All rights reserved.