(HealthDay News) -- Diabetes doesn't have to sideline you from the sport you love.
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics offers these safety suggestions:
- Don't exercise unless your blood sugar level is at least 100 mg/dL, or within one week of a severe episode of hypoglycemia (low blood sugar).
- Monitor your blood sugar throughout exercise. Make sure it stays within the range recommended by your doctor.
- While you exercise, carry with you a form of quickly absorbed glucose.
- Exercise with a buddy until you are well trained, to help ward off an episode of hypoglycemia.
- Wear a medical alert bracelet that identifies you as diabetic.
- Snack and drink before, during and after your workout.
Copyright © 2015 HealthDay
. All rights reserved.