(HealthDay News) -- While you're decking the halls this holiday season, opt for decorations that are environmentally-friendly and made to last.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has these suggestions:
- Consider a holiday decoration other than a tree, or buy an artificial tree that's made to last for many years. If you get a live tree, plant it outside after the holidays.
- Get a smaller-than-usual live tree that is easier to recycle. When it's time to dispose of the tree, find an eco-friendly method.
- Reduce holiday lighting to save energy, or invest in energy-efficient LED lights.
- Attach a timer to your holiday lights, so they are not lit as long.
- Use natural decorations from your yard or use materials that you already have in your home.
Copyright © 2014 HealthDay
. All rights reserved.