(HealthDay News) -- A child can fall from a window in a moment's notice, so it's important for parents to help prevent such a tragedy.
The National Safety Council offers these suggestions:
- Always supervise young children, and keep windows locked when children are near.
- If opening a window, make sure a child can't reach it.
- Teach your child to stay away from windows and patio doors.
- Don't keep furniture near a window that a child could climb on.
- A screen will not prevent a child from falling out a window.
- Use a window guard. Check with the local fire department for safety requirements.
Copyright © 2014 HealthDay
. All rights reserved.