(HealthDay News) -- If you're enjoying the great outdoors on a hike, it's important to know what to do if you are lost.
The U.S. Forest Service offers these suggestions:
- Carefully review your surroundings, and try to locate yourself on a map using nearby landmarks.
- If you get lost, don't panic. Think back to how you arrived at your location.
- If you're on a trail, stay on it.
- Trust your compass and map.
- If it is getting dark, you are exhausted or you are hurt, stop walking.
- If you cannot find any other way, follow drainage or a stream downhill as they typically lead to a road.
Copyright © 2014 HealthDay
. All rights reserved.