(HealthDay News) -- If you're heading out on a trail or hike, make sure you're equipped with a few safety tools.
The Washington Trails Association suggests taking these essentials:
- A detailed map of the area and a compass.
- Extra supplies of food and water, and a way to purify water.
- Extra clothing, sunscreen, sunglasses and rain gear.
- Matches and a firestarter.
- A flashlight and extra batteries.
- A well-stocked first-aid kit.
- A multi-purpose knife.
Copyright © 2014 HealthDay
. All rights reserved.