(HealthDay News) -- If you're stuck outside when a storm surprises you, the National Weather Service offers these suggestions for what to do:
- If you can safely travel to your vehicle, go inside until the storm passes.
- Avoid wide-open fields, the tops of a hills or ridges.
- If in a forest, stay near a group of low trees. Avoid tall trees and isolated objects.
- If camping, head down to a ravine or valley. A tent won't offer any protection against lightning.
- Stay away from any metal objects, water and wet objects.
Copyright © 2014 HealthDay
. All rights reserved.