(HealthDay News) -- People often eat, not out of hunger, but because they're bored and seem to have nothing better to do.
The American Heart Association suggests how to avoid eating for reasons other than hunger:
- Make sure you eat three meals per day. You may wind up eating more at mealtime if you skipped an earlier meal.
- If you binge eat a specific food (such as ice cream, candy or chips) don't keep that food at home.
- Create a list of things to do in lieu of eating.
- Exercise for 15 minutes instead of eating, or call a friend to chat.
- Instead of eating, clean the home or work in your garden.
Copyright © 2014 HealthDay
. All rights reserved.