- Number 1 cause of death worldwide.
- 17.3 million deaths (2008); accounts for 30% of all global deaths.
- 7.3 million deaths due to coronary heart disease; 6.2 million deaths due to stroke.
In the United States...
- Number 1 cause of death in the U.S.
- 600,000 Americans die from heart disease annually—1 in every 4 deaths in the U.S.
- Every 34 seconds, someone in the U.S. has a heart attack; about 15% will die from it.
- 385,000 Americans die each year due to coronary heart disease.
- Risk for heart disease doubles for people with high cholesterol.
- 71 million American adults have high “bad” cholesterol (LDL); less than half get treatment.
- 795,000 Americans have a stroke each year; someone has a stroke every 40 seconds.
- 130,000 die of stroke annually 1 in 3 Americans has high blood pressure, a primary contributing cause of 348,000 deaths in 2008.
: 369 cardiovascular agents and 198 agents for cholesterol control are in development.