- 300 million live with asthma.
- 250,000 deaths due to asthma each year.
- 15 million years of healthy life (disability adjusted life years: DALYs) are lost due to asthma.
- Asthma is most prevalent in developed nations: the United Kingdom, Canada, and U.S.
In the United States...
- Nearly 19 million adults and 7 million children in the U.S. live with asthma.
- 3,388 died due to asthma in 2009.
- 44,000 asthma attacks occur each day.
- 4,700 asthma emergency room visits daily.
- More than 36,000 kids miss school and 27,000 adults miss work every day due to asthma.
Research Pipeline: 245 anti-asthma agents are in clinical trials.
Global Initiative for Asthma (GINA) Global Strategy for Asthma Management and Prevention Update 2011
Center for Disease Control and Prevention
Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America, Asthma Facts and Figures
Citeline Pharma R&D Annual Review 2012