Arthritis by the Numbers
Worldwide: 175 million have some form of arthritic disease
- OA: Ranks as the 4th leading cause of Years Lived with Disability (YLDs).
- An estimated 10% of the world population over age 60 has OA symptoms.
- RA Ranks as the 31st leading cause of Years Lived with Disability (YLDs).
- Between 1% and 2% of the world population has RA symptoms.
In the United States: 50 million (1 in 5) adults have some form of arthritic disease
- OA: More than 27 million adults have been diagnosed with OA.
- RA: More than 1.5 million adults have been diagnosed with RA.
- An estimated 294,000 children and teens have some form or arthritis or rheumatic condition.
- 5% of people over 65 have been diagnosed with arthritis.
- By 2030, 67 million adults are expected to have arthritis.
2011 Research Pipeline
- 277 agents for RA are in clinical research